Monday, April 21, 2014

Flowers With a Memory ♥

I made this canvas for my sister-in-law. The flowers are out of her late Grandmothers clothing. Allison (my sister-in-law) gathered a ton of her grandmas clothes after she passed, and I went over there one night to help her cut quilting squares out of it. As we were cutting I was taking the scrap pieces that were too small to use in the quilt and putting them into a jar, that I call my scrap jar. I also took all of the buttons from the clothes to craft up something great for her.

When I got home, I sorted through all of it, and picked out the biggest pieces I had. I matched each fabric I had pulled out with a button, I plugged in my hot glue gun, and I got to work.
I started off by painting and 8X11 canvas a light gray color, and then while that was drying, I made the 6 flowers. My own late Grandmother (Virginia) taught me how to make a few different types of fabric flowers. There are tutorials that are easy to Google or find on Pinterest.

After the flowers were completed, I glued them onto the painted canvas, and I used black paint to paint on stems and leaves. I didn't want the stems to all match and be perfect, because I was going for a wild flower look since non of the fabrics matched.

Here is how the final product turned out..

I love it if you ask me... and she does too!


Here is a close up of one of the flowers (my favorite) 

This was a fun craft for me to do, and it has great memories in it for Allison. I hope that whenever she looks at this canvas hanging in her house, that she will not think of me, but she will think of her Grandma and all of the love and memories that they shared. 


No comments:

Post a Comment